Sunday, November 2, 2008

New York Times BABY!!


Yooooo...I don't know how excited I am right now. I'm in the New York Mother Fuckin' Times!! That's right. And no, it's not for Photographs! It's for some shoes I made for Dre Day!!!!! Check out the list of interview questions they send me. Enjoy!!
________________________

Good Afternoon Sylviane,

First of all thank you so much for choosing my shoes I’m ecstatic! Let me
know if you need anymore information.

Thanks again,
C

Questions:

1. Confirm the spelling of your name and your class -- Christina "C-Rocka"
Rimstad, Post-Baccalaureate, Graphic Design

2. What kind of paint did you use for the images?

I used a Jacquard textile paint when creating custom chucks.

3. Describe the images and what inspired you to customize each shoe in
this way?

These shoes were inspired by an annual celebration we have in Minneapolis called Dre Day. Minneapolis based design collective Burlesque started the party almost seven years ago to celebrate legendary rap producer Dr. Dre’s birthday. Each year I’ve created a new article of clothing with the image of Dr. Dre on it to wear to the event. Dr. Dre’s album “The Chronic” has always been a heavy influence when I’m creating these pieces, which is why I chose to use a 40oz of Old English and the pot leaves on the back seam of the shoes.


4. Have you decorated other shoes, other clothing items? If so, why?
If not, why not?

Yes I have decorated other shoes and clothing items. I started doing the shoes after a friend of mine died in 2006, I made a custom pair of chucks with a cartoon character he had of himself; he was an avid converse collector. After that I was addicted to getting the high top chucks and making my mark on them. I love painting more than ever on my clothing; I’ve been doing that since I was six-seven years old. There was nothing like a rainy day when my mom would get out the fabric paints so my siblings and I could make t-shirts.

5. Have you seen other custom shoes on your campus?

Honestly, I haven't seen any custom shoes that were handmade. Of course I see the limited edition dunks and other various manufactured shoes but none hand painted.


6. Do you sell decorated shoes, or do you make them for yourself alone?

I haven't actually sold a pair of shoes but I'm definitely willing to do that. I've made shoes for others as gifts and for myself. I'm currently working on a pair of Converse All-star Chucks for HATER Magazine out of Houston.

No comments: