Friday, October 10, 2008

"Black Blondie for Obama"





A couple months ago Liz D and Tasha B from Black Blondie called me up and asked if I'd help them create an idea they had for a bumper sticker. I took their idea for this bumper sticker and put my graphic skills to work. The other night Tasha and I were downtown puttin some stickers up and a man walkin down the street looked at us with an agitated look.

"What's that say, BLACK BLONDIE?" he said uneasy.

"Yes," I responded.

"Well what's Black Blondie?" He asked insecurely.

"It's a local band. She's in it..." I stated as I pointed at Tasha. The man let out a sigh of relief and put his arm around me while laughing. This man made it very clear that if that sticker had anything racist to it there would have been some serious issues.

There was another time as well when something like this happened, maybe not in the same capacity but the awkwardness was there. I was one of the first days of Fall semester and we had to do a lil presentation about who we are and blah blah blah. I had used the Black Blondie sticker in some of the things that I've done for the presentation and then handed some of the stickers out to those that wanted them. On break my teacher came over to me and said, "I get it the sticker, am I right in thinking it's white people into black culture?"

bwwwwwwwwwwwwahahahhaaaaaaa, I just started laughing and as soon as I caught my breath I looked at him and said, "Nooooooooo, that's my friends band!"

Get to know Black Blondie here if you don't know them already!

No comments: